Every year, it seems like more and more retail outlets are going out of business, resulting in the loss of jobs and local supplies. Last year, hundreds of stores closed, and this year, even more shops are scheduled to shut their doors for good. The 2018 Death List This year, in an effort to save their businesses, the following retailers will close hundreds of their stores, according to Fox Business.
– Abercrombie & Fitch: 60 more stores are charted to close
– Aerosoles: Only 4 of their 88 stores are definitely remaining open
– American Apparel: They’ve filed for bankruptcy and all their stores have closed (or will soon)
– BCBG: 118 stores have closed
– Bebe: Bebe is history and all 168 stores have closed
– Bon-Ton: They’ve filed for Chapter 11 and will be closing 48 stores.
– The Children’s Place: They plan to close hundreds of stores by 2020 and are going digital.
– CVS: They closed 70 stores but thousands still remain viable.
– Foot Locker: They’re closing 110 underperforming stores shortly.
– Guess: 60 stores will bite the dust this year.
– Gymboree: A whopping 350 stores will close their doors for good this year
– HHGregg: All 220 stores will be closed this year after the company filed for bankruptcy.
– J. Crew: They’ll be closing 50 stores instead of the original 20 they had announced.
– J.C. Penney: They’ve closed 138 stores and plan to turn all the remaining ones into toy stores.
– The Limited: All 250 retail locations have been closed and they’ve gone digital in an effort to remain in business.
– Macy’s: 7 more stores will soon close and more than 5000 employees will be laid off.
– Michael Kors: They’ll close 125 stores this year.
– Payless: They’ll be closing a whopping 800 stores this year after recently filing for bankruptcy.
– Radio Shack: More than 1000 stores have been shut down this year, leaving them with only 70 stores nationwide.
– Rue 21: They’ll be closing 400 stores this year.
– Sears/Kmart: They’ve closed over 300 locations.
– ToysRUs: They’ve filed for bankruptcy but at this point, have not announced store closures, and have in fact, stated their stores will remain open.
– Wet Seal: This place is history – all 171 stores will soon be closed.
And these are just the people who have announced store closures so far. In an environment hostile to brick and mortar businesses, more are sure to come. FULL REPORT