Two middle school students in North Carolina were charged by police after they passed out Rice Krispy Treats with THC in them and caused seven students to be hospitalized.
Officials at C.C. Griffin Middle School in Cabarrus County informed parents that the students had been hospitalized Friday morning.
“Cabarrus County Schools can confirm that several students at C.C. Griffin Middle School were treated by the school staff this afternoon for negative reactions related to ingesting an unknown substance,” read the statement in part.
“Out of an abundance of caution, seven students were transported to Atrium Health Cabarrus for further observation,” they added. “District and school administration are investigating and working closely with the Concord Police Department to gather relevant information.
Parents were outraged over the incident. “She fell to the floor and started seizing and everyone was screaming cause we had no clue what was happening,” said one parent to WSOC-TV.
“They said it could possibly have been, they’ve heard may have possibly been marijuana, delta 8, mushrooms, they don’t know,” another parent said.
One student said she realized something was wrong when her friends started acting paranoid during lunch. “We asked him if there was anything wrong with it, cause we were suspicious at first, he said no, and then we ate it,” said the child.
The Concord Police Department later said that officers had recovered a sample of the Rice Krispy Treats and it tested positive for THC. In addition, they recovered illegal psilocybin mushrooms that some students had ingested.
They also said the students who spoke with them said that they knew they were ingesting a THC edible. “Some students in advance of Friday made an agreement to buy some of those THC edibles,” said Concord Police Maj. Todd McGhee.