Health officials are warning beach goers of the dangers that could lurk in the waters of the Gulf of Mexico after a Louisiana woman contracted a flesh-eating bacteria. Kelly Kohen Blomberg of New Orleans told local news outlets that she had a close encounter with the bacteria when she went surf fishing near Grand Isle in late May.

“Whenever I shuffled my foot, it went directly into the mouth of something,” Blomberg told WDSU News. “Blood everywhere, and it was not stopping.” She was rushed to a local hospital, and was given antibiotics to fight infection. Nearly a week after the accident, Blomberg began to see dead skin around her foot. What started off as two scratches led to a wide wound that covered most of her foot. FULL REPORT