Security forces prevented an attack on French military installations this week with the arrest of four people with links to jailed jihadists, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said on Wednesday. The news of the arrests followed a statement from French President François Hollande, who said terrorist attacks had been foiled in recent days.

“This week, we stopped terrorist attacks which could have taken place,” Hollande said on a visit to the French coastal city of Marseille. The four suspects were aged between 16 and 23 and arrested in different places around France, Cazeneuve said. One was a former member of the navy. A source close to the investigation into the thwarted attack, who asked to remain anonymous, said the four people arrested had been planning to film the decapitation of a member of the military in the south of France. One of the four suspects, who was identified as the mastermind, had been planning to travel to jihadist-controlled areas of war-torn Syria, Cazeneuve added in his statement. MORE