FREETOWN, Sierra Leone – The deadly Ebola virus has infected two people in what was the last untouched district in Sierra Leone, the government said Thursday, a setback in efforts to stop the spread of the disease in one of the hardest-hit countries. The Emergency Operations Center in its report covering Wednesday announced the two Ebola cases in the Koinadugu district, in Sierra Leone’s far north, which had taken aggressive measures to keep the virus out of its mountainous territory since the outbreak early this year. “It was the only place we are counting on where you can go and breathe a sigh of relief and to know that now in the whole country no district is safe, is heartrending,” said John Caulker, the executive director of the nonprofit Fambul Tok, a group that worked on keeping Ebola out of the district. “Now we will increase our activities in the district and take the necessary measures to make sure the area is safe and it does not spread,” he told The Associated Press, noting it was just in a single chiefdom so far. Ebola is rampant in the rest of the country, with 425 new cases just in the last week and a health care system that is struggling to deal with the onslaught of the disease. The World Health Organization said there have been more than 3,000 infections in Sierra Leone with nearly 1,200 deaths. More
Never Miss A Headline!
Subscribe to our daily digest! Sign up FREE today.