(OPINION) The Watchers – I have been saying for years that global volcanic activity is on the rise and it’s now obvious that volcanoes are erupting at a faster pace, not only around the ring of fire but also around the entire globe. Even dormant and extinct volcanoes are becoming active again. An extinct volcano by definition is a dead volcano, which has not erupted in the last 10 000 years and is not expected to ever erupt again. In other words, an extinct volcano implies that there is no magmatic, seismic or degassing activity going on at the volcano and that it’s not expected to erupt again in a comparable time scale of the future.
- A volcano in Russia may be active again and scientists are worried that it could have “catastrophic” consequences
- Iceland fears dormant volcano may be waking up
- Previously extinct volcano raised to eruption warning level in Colombia: eruption would be first in recorded history
- Dormant volcanoes from around the world are coming to life for the first time in 160,000 years
- The fourth dormant volcano shows an earthquake on the West Coast — Mammoth Mountain California
More importantly, unrest is growing right now among some of the world’s Super-volcanoes like Laguna del Maule in Chile and Italy’s Campi Flerei — under the city of Naples. Since 2005, Campi Flegrei has been undergoing what volcanologists call an uplift. Campi Flegrei showing signs of reawakening, Italy FULL REPORT