(Fox News) – The Trump administration is set to propose a rule Tuesday that would cut about 3.1 million Americans from the food-stamp program in an effort to save taxpayers about $2.5 billion a year, reports said. The U.S. has seen low levels of unemployment, which is seen as a major factor in low levels of participation in the program. President Trump tweeted earlier this month that food stamp use is at a 10-year low. Politifact verified the claim. Reuters, citing a U.S. Department of Agriculture, reported that residents in


Advertisement


43 states who receive help from Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, or TANF, automatically enroll in the food-stamp program, known as the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program, or SNAP. The USDA intends to review these TANF cases to see if participants qualify for the program. “This proposal will save money and preserve the integrity of the program,” Sonny Perdue, the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, said in a conference call. “SNAP should be a temporary safety net.” READ MORE

Advertisement

Fox News is an American pay television news channel owned by the Fox News Group, a division of Fox. The channel broadcasts primarily from studios at 1211 Avenue of the Americas in New York City.