(NYP) – A 78-year-old man in Texas managed to contract a flesh-eating bacteria while he was out on a boat fishing — with no visible open wounds or compromised immune system — and was dead less than two weeks later, his daughter says. “I’m still a little shocked and in disbelief,” explained Kim Sebek, daughter of San Marcos resident Jerry Sebek, who died on June 25. “Dad was a wonderful family man who loved to hunt and fish and do things out in the water,” she told mySA.com. “We’ve been coming here (Turtle


Advertisement


Bay) for years and this is just an unfortunate thing that happened.” According to Kim, Sebek never swam in the water and had no visible cuts on his body at the time. He was out on a boat fishing in Turtle Bay, near Palacios, when he somehow contracted the deadly Vibrio bacteria — which causes Vibriosis — on June 13. Sebek, who is described in his obituary as a longtime insurance salesman, had been vacationing with his family, and they reportedly noticed he wasn’t feeling well after the outing. READ MORE

Advertisement

The New York Post is a daily newspaper in New York City. The Post also operates the celebrity gossip site PageSix.com, the entertainment site Decider.com, and co-produces the television show Page Six TV. The modern version of the paper is published in tabloid format.