(Fox News) – A keen sportsman who got contact lenses to improve his sight when playing football has told how he was blinded after wearing them in the shower when a parasite started living in his right eye. During 18 months of horror, Nick Humphreys, 29, of Shrewsbury, Shropshire, has had two operations on his eye and is now waiting for a corneal transplant, after contracting Acanthamoeba keratitis (AK), a rare parasitical infection in his right cornea. “If I’d have known how dangerous it was to wear contacts in the shower,

I would never have got them in the first place,” Humphreys, a local journalist, said. “After getting the infection, I went from hitting the gym every other day and playing football three times a week, to being housebound for six months and losing the will to live. I got contacts as I didn’t like how I looked in glasses and it nearly cost me my right eye.” Wearing glasses for nearsightedness since he was 4, by 2013, wanting to improve his looks and his sight doing sport, Humphreys opted for monthly lenses, costing roughly $30 a time. READ MORE

Fox News is an American pay television news channel owned by the Fox News Group, a division of Fox. The channel broadcasts primarily from studios at 1211 Avenue of the Americas in New York City.