A Texas woman died in October from a flesh-eating bacteria after she consumed raw oysters. Jeanette LeBlanc was crabbing with her friends and family on the Louisiana coast in September when she contracted the infection, KLFY reported. LeBlanc and her friend Karen Bowers picked up some raw oysters in a Westwego market for a treat.

The two women ate about two dozen raw oysters each before LeBlanc became ill, Bowers said. Bowers said her friend looked like she developed an allergic reaction. “An allergic reaction of sorts, that’s what I would call it. That’s what we thought,” Bowers told KLFY. Two days later, LeBlanc’s condition worsened and doctors informed her that she had vibrio. READ MORE