A dangerous parasite that can be consumed with raw fish and sushi, leading to sickness in humans, is now showing up in the United States.  It’s called Anisakiasis, described by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as a parasitic disease caused by worms that attach to the wall of the esophagus, stomach, or intestine. The best ways prevent it is to avoid eating raw or undercooked fish or squid.

Anisakiasis is normally found in Japan and other countries where raw fish is consumed. But more cases are appearing in Western countries.  According to a report in BMJ Case Reports, a previously healthy 32-year-old man was recently admitted to the hospital with severe upper abdominal pain, vomiting, and low-grade fever. After an exam and interview, it was discovered he recently ate sushi. Further exams showed a parasite attached to his intestine with the end of it extending into the man’s stomach. READ MORE