Israel’s security cabinet has approved construction of a new settlement in the occupied West Bank for ex-residents of the Amona outpost demolished under a Supreme Court ruling last month. This is to be the first Israeli settlement in over 20 years. The measure must, however, be approved by all ministers who are not part of the security cabinet through a telephone poll, the Prime Minister’s Office said in a statement, according to Haaretz.

The new settlement is to be built in the area of Emek Shilo, the statement added. “I made a promise that we would establish a new settlement. There are a few hours until then and you will get all the details,” Netanyahu told reporters earlier on Thursday, according to Reuters. The settlement is to be built for residents of the Amona enclave that was demolished last month following an Israeli Supreme Court ruling stating it was built on privately owned Palestinian land. Some 40 families have been left without homes. READ MORE