(Reported By Christian Institute) Anyone who wants to change the sex recorded on their passport will soon be able to do so as easily as if they were changing their name, following a government announcement. Currently, if someone wants to change their stated sex they have to provide a doctor’s letter to prove that they are permanently living as the opposite sex. The number of people who have been issued with a Gender Recognition Certificate since the 2004 Act to change their legal birth sex is under 4,500 – around 0.007 percent of the U.K. population.

Under the new rules, they will have to fill out a form and supply Her Majesty’s Passport Office (HMPO) with some “supporting documentation.” A spokesman for the Government said: “HMPO will extend the range of supporting documentation that can be used by an applicant to demonstrate use of their gender of choice in their daily life. This will mirror the approach adopted for passport applicants who wish to change their name.” CONTINUE