A 50-year-old man in Texas is fighting for his life after contracting an unidentified flesh-eating bacteria during a family trip to a local beach. KHOU.com reported that doctors had to amputate Brian Parrott’s right leg after it became infected at a beach in Galveston, Texas, which is on the Gulf Coast of the state. Although local authorities haven’t yet identified the bacteria,

they speculated it may be vibrio, a common flesh-eating bacteria that lurks in coastal waters and can infect people through open wounds. Galveston has seen two human cases of vibrio in 2016— one contracted through an open wound and another by eating undercooked shellfish, KHOU.com reported. In 2015, the island city saw eight such infections. READ MORE