A potentially deadly amoeba has been detected in a Terrebonne Parish water system, and while officials say tap water is safe to drink, they are urging people to avoid getting it in their noses.  The Louisiana Department of Health notified the Schriever Water System and town officials Thursday after confirmed the amoeba’s presence. The amoeba, Naegleria

fowleri, causes a brain infection that leads to the destruction of tissue. In its early stages, symptoms may be similar to bacterial meningitis.  “We would caution the public to refrain from allowing water to enter their nasal passages,” Sobert said in a statement posted on the parish government’s Facebook page. “The water is safe to drink.”  READ MORE