MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, has been a concerning health topic, and for good reason. The superbug is a drug-resistant strain of Staph that infects hundreds of thousands of Americans annually, ultimately killing several thousand of them — and that’s not even taking into consideration the many cases that aren’t included in government incidence statistics. And now, you just might stumble upon this harmful strain while eating certain meat products. That’s right, while enjoying a barbecue or feasting on your favorite family meal, you might be ingesting MRSA.
Researchers in the United Kingdom analyzed over 100 pre-packaged fresh meat products that were of UK farm origin and sold in various supermarkets throughout England. After first freezing them and then sending the products to the Department of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Cambridge for testing, two of the pork samples (one from sausages, one from minced pork) came back positive for MRSA. In fact, two strains of MRSA were found in the sausage sample. MORE